Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Hausa: Wolof
n. pl. Hausa or Hau·sas
1. A member of a predominantly Muslim people inhabiting northern Nigeria and southern Niger.
2. A Chadic language spoken by the Hausa, widely used as a trade language in West Africa.
[Hausa háusáawáa, pl. of bàháušè, a Hausa.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -sas or -sa
1. (Peoples) a member of a Negroid people of W Africa, living chiefly in N Nigeria
2. (Languages) the language of this people: the chief member of the Chadic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages. It is widely used as a trading language throughout W Africa and the S Sahara
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Hau•sa(ˈhaʊ sə, -sɑ, -zə)
n., pl. -sas, (esp. collectively) -sa.
1. a member of an African people of N Nigeria and S Niger.
2. the Chadic language of the Hausa, a second language and lingua franca in N Nigeria, Niger, and adjacent countries.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hausa - a member of a Negroid people living chiefly in northern Nigeria|
Nigerian - a native or inhabitant of Nigeria
|2.||Hausa - the chief member of the Chadic family of Afroasiatic languages; widely used as a trading language|
West Chadic - a group of Chadic languages spoken in northern Nigeria; Hausa in the most important member
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.