Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Hausa: Wolof
n. pl. Hausa or Hau·sas
1. A member of a predominantly Muslim people inhabiting northern Nigeria and southern Niger.
2. A Chadic language spoken by the Hausa, widely used as a trade language in West Africa.
[Hausa háusáawáa, pl. of bàháušè, a Hausa.]
npl -sas or -sa
1. (Peoples) a member of a Negroid people of W Africa, living chiefly in N Nigeria
2. (Languages) the language of this people: the chief member of the Chadic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages. It is widely used as a trading language throughout W Africa and the S Sahara
Hau•sa(ˈhaʊ sə, -sɑ, -zə)
n., pl. -sas, (esp. collectively) -sa.
1. a member of an African people of N Nigeria and S Niger.
2. the Chadic language of the Hausa, a second language and lingua franca in N Nigeria, Niger, and adjacent countries.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hausa - a member of a Negroid people living chiefly in northern Nigeria|
Nigerian - a native or inhabitant of Nigeria
|2.||Hausa - the chief member of the Chadic family of Afroasiatic languages; widely used as a trading language|
West Chadic - a group of Chadic languages spoken in northern Nigeria; Hausa in the most important member