high commissioner(redirected from Haut-Commissaire de la République)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A chief commissioner or one of high rank.
2. A chief representative of the government of one country who is assigned to an ambassadorial post in another country.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the senior diplomatic representative sent by one Commonwealth country to another instead of an ambassador
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the head of an international commission
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the chief officer in a colony or other dependency
1. the chief diplomatic representative of one sovereign member of the Commonwealth of Nations in the country of another.
2. the head of government, as in a protectorate.