helmet(redirected from Head armor)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A protective head covering made of hard material, such as leather, metal, or plastic: A firefighter's uniform includes a helmet.
b. The headgear with a glass mask worn by deep-sea divers.
c. A pith helmet; a topi.
d. A head covering, such as a balaclava, that is shaped like a helmet.
2. A piece of armor, usually made of metal, designed to protect the head.
3. Botany The hood-shaped sepal or corolla of some flowers.
tr. & intr.v. hel·met·ed, hel·met·ing, hel·mets
To provide with or put on a helmet.
[Middle English, from Old French, diminutive of helme, of Germanic origin; see kel- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a piece of protective or defensive armour for the head worn by soldiers, policemen, firemen, divers, etc
2. (Biology) biology a part or structure resembling a helmet, esp the upper part of the calyx of certain flowers
[C15: from Old French, diminutive of helme, of Germanic origin]
art at helpmeet(ˈhɛl mɪt)
1. any of various forms of protective, usu. rigid head covering worn by soldiers, firefighters, football players, cyclists, etc.
2. a piece of medieval armor for the head; helm.
3. anything resembling a helmet in form or position.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Middle French healmet, helmet, diminutive of helme helm2]
- crest - From Latin crista, "plume, tuft," it first referred to the erect feathers of a plume on a helmet or headdress.
- panache - Can be a tuft or plume of feathers on a headdress or helmet.
- coif, coiffure, coiffeur - Coif, coiffure, and coiffeur (hairdo, hairstyle) derive from Latin cofia, "helmet."
- galeated - Means "shaped like a helmet" or "wearing a helmet."
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||helmet - armor plate that protects the head |
armet - a medieval helmet with a visor and a neck guard
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
basinet - a medieval steel helmet
body armor, body armour, cataphract, coat of mail, suit of armor, suit of armour - armor that protects the wearer's whole body
casque - (15-16th century) any armor for the head; usually ornate without a visor
heaume - a large medieval helmet supported on the shoulders
pickelhaube - a spiked helmet worn by German soldiers
|2.||helmet - a protective headgear made of hard material to resist blows|
batting helmet - a helmet worn by the batter in baseball
beaver - a movable piece of armor on a medieval helmet used to protect the lower face
crash helmet - a padded helmet worn by people riding bicycles or motorcycles; protects the head in case of accidents
football helmet - a padded helmet with a face mask to protect the head of football players
safety hat, tin hat, hard hat - a lightweight protective helmet (plastic or metal) worn by construction workers
headpiece - a protective helmet for the head
space helmet - a helmet worn by astronauts while in outer space
mũ bảo hiểm
helmet[ˈhɛlmɪt] n → casque m
a metal, leather etc covering to protect the head. Soldiers wear helmets when fighting. helm خوذَه каска capacete helma der Helm hjelm κράνοςcasco kiiver كلاه محافظ kypärä casqueקסדה शिरस्त्राण kaciga (roham-, bukó- stb.)sisak helm hjálmur elmetto ヘルメット 헬멧 šalmas bruņucepure; aizsargcepure topi helmhjelmhełm د اوسپنى خولۍ ، خول ( داوسپنى capacete cască шлем; каска helma čelada šlem hjälm หมวกกันน็อก miğfer 頭盔，安全帽 шолом; каска سر کی حفاظت کی آہنی ٹوپی mũ bảo hiểm 头盔