health(redirected from Healthful behavior)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
2. physical well-being. Cf. dyscrasia. — eucrasic, eucratic, adj.
2. a system of principles for promoting health. — hygienist, n. — hygienic, adj.
2. excessive concern and conversation about one’s health. Also called hypochondria, nosomania. — hypochondriac, n. — hypochondriacal, adj.
2. the science of attaining and maintaining good health. — soteriological, adj.
2. a state of being concerned with health, often excessively.
3. invalidism. — valetudinarian, n., adj.
See Also: PAIN
- As clean and strong and healthy as a young tree in the sun —Hugh Walpole
- (Has a heart) as sound as a bell —William Shakespeare
- Drug addiction is like a light that doesn’t shine —Cardinal John O’Connor, speaking at New York City ceremony to fight drug addiction, August 8, 1986
- Felt like the symptoms on a medicine bottle —George Ade
- (Looking) fit and taut as a fiddle —Robert Louis Stevenson
- (I feel as) fit as a bull moose —Theodore Roosevelt to newspaper reporters
- Fit as a fiddle —John Ray’s Proverbs
This is the most famous of the many “Fit as” comparisons. A modernized extension by novelist Geoffrey Wolff: “Fit as an electric fiddle.”
- (You’re looking this morning as) fit as a flea —Henry James
- Gobbled pills like a famished chicken pecking up corn —Dale Kramer
- [Narrator’s father] gradually sank as if he had a slow leak —Oliver Sacks
- Healthy as a kayaker —Richard Ford
- Healthy as a steer —Thomas Zigal
- A healthy body is the guest-chamber of the soul, a sick, its prison —Francis Bacon
- Hones himself down [to stay in top physical condition] sharper than a Gillette blade —Norman Keifetz
- It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser —Robert Louis Stevenson
- No neurotic is cured, he merely substitutes one set of neuroses for another. Like a man who stops biting his fingernails only to start scratching his head —Margaret Millar
- Pent-up resentment, aggression and hostility are as bad for health as constipation —George Garrett
- Radiate health and good will like a red-hot stove —Robertson Davies
See Also: KINDNESS
- Sickness fell upon me like an April cloud —Edward Marsh
- So far as ailments went, Uncle Horace was like an insatiable gardener confronted by a seedsman’s catalogue. He had only to get news of an untried specimen to have a go at it —Howard Spring
- Sound as a bell of brass —Anon
According to Larry Gottlieb, a one-time handicapper for the New York Morning Telegraph, this expression used to assay a thoroughbred up for sale is the most commonly used simile in racing circles. It was introduced in England during the nineteenth century.
- Sound as a nut —Mazo De La Roche
- Temperature as high as a tree —Mary Lee Settle
- Unhealthy as the liver of a goose intended for pate —Israel Zangwill
|Noun||1.||health - a healthy state of wellbeing free from disease; "physicians should be held responsible for the health of their patients"|
|2.||health - the general condition of body and mind; "his delicate health"; "in poor health"|
wellbeing disease, illness, weakness, sickness, frailty, debility
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity" Constitution of the World Health Organization
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away"
to be in good/bad health → estar bien/mal de salud
he was granted early retirement on grounds of ill health → le concedieron la jubilación anticipada por razones de salud
good health! → ¡(a tu) salud!
to drink (to) sb's health → beber a la salud de algn, brindar por algn
Minister of Health → Ministro/a m/f de Sanidad
Ministry of Health → Ministerio m de Sanidad
Department of Health and Human Services (US) → Ministerio m de Sanidad y Seguridad Social
health benefit N (US) → subsidio m de enfermedad
health care N → asistencia f sanitaria, atención f sanitaria
health centre, health center (US) N → centro m de salud, centro m médico
health club N → gimnasio m
health education N → educación f sanitaria
health farm N → centro m de adelgazamiento
health food(s) N(PL) → alimentos mpl dietéticos, alimentos mpl naturales
health food shop N → tienda f de alimentos dietéticos, herbolario m
health hazard N → peligro m para la salud, riesgo m para la salud
it's a health hazard → presenta un peligro or un riesgo para la salud
health insurance N → seguro m de enfermedad, seguro m médico
health problem N (personal) → problema m de salud; (public) → problema m sanitario
health resort N (= spa) → balneario m; (in mountains) → sanatorio m
Health Service N (Brit) → Servicio m de Sanidad, Servicio m de Salud Pública
see also national Health Service doctor N → médico m de la Seguridad Social
health spa N → balneario m
health visitor N → auxiliar mf sanitario/a (en asistencia domiciliaria)
see also professional B2
Her health has never been very good → Sa santé n'a jamais été très bonne.
to be restored to health → être guéri(e)
to be bad for one's health → être mauvais(e) pour la santé
to be good for one's health → être bon(ne) pour la santé
to be in good health → être en bonne santé
to be in good physical health → être en bonne forme physique
to be in poor health → être en mauvaise santé
sexual health → santé sexuelle
to drink to sb's health, to drink sb's health → boire à la santé de qn Department of Health