heliotrope(redirected from Heliotrope (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of several plants of the genus Heliotropium, especially H. arborescens, native to Peru and having small, highly fragrant purplish flowers. Also called turnsole.
b. The garden heliotrope.
c. Any of various plants that turn toward the sun.
2. See bloodstone.
3. A moderate, light, or brilliant violet to moderate or deep reddish purple.
[Middle English elitrope (from Old English eliotropus) and French héliotrope, both from Latin hēliotropium, from Greek hēliotropion : hēlio-, helio- + tropos, turn; see trope.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any boraginaceous plant of the genus Heliotropium, esp the South American H. arborescens, cultivated for its small fragrant purple flowers
2. (Plants) garden heliotrope a widely cultivated valerian, Valeriana officinalis, with clusters of small pink, purple, or white flowers
3. (Plants) any of various plants that turn towards the sun
a. a bluish-violet to purple colour
b. (as adjective): a heliotrope dress.
5. (Surveying) an instrument used in geodetic surveying employing the sun's rays reflected by a mirror as a signal for the sighting of stations over long distances
6. (Minerals) another name for bloodstone
7. (Jewellery) another name for bloodstone
[C17: from Latin hēliotropium, from Greek hēliotropion, from hēlios sun + trepein to turn]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
he•li•o•trope(ˈhi li əˌtroʊp, ˈhil yə-; esp. Brit. ˈhɛl yə-)
1. any of numerous hairy plants of the genus Heliotropium, of the borage family, esp. H. arborescens, cultivated for its small, fragrant purple flowers.
2. any of various other plants, as the valerian.
3. any plant that turns toward the sun.
4. a light purple color; reddish lavender.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
heliotrope[ˈhiːlɪətrəup] N → heliotropo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Bot: = colour) → Heliotrop nt
adj → heliotrop(isch)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007