Flying Dutchman(redirected from Hendrik van der Decken)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A spectral ship said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope.
2. The captain of this ship, a legendary Dutch mariner condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day.
1. (European Myth & Legend) legend
a. a phantom ship sighted in bad weather, esp off the Cape of Good Hope
b. the captain of this ship
2. a type of dinghy, designed to be crewed by two people
1. a legendary Dutch ghost ship reportedly seen at sea, esp. near the Cape of Good Hope.
2. the captain of this ship, condemned to sail the sea until the Day of Judgment.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Flying Dutchman - the captain of a phantom ship (the Flying Dutchman) who was condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day|
|2.||Flying Dutchman - a phantom ship that is said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope|