genotype(redirected from Heritable variation)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The genetic makeup, as distinguished from the physical appearance, of an organism or a group of organisms.
2. The combination of alleles located on homologous chromosomes that determines a specific characteristic or trait.
3. A specific combination of alleles at one or more loci on a chromosome.
gen′o·typ′ic (-tĭp′ĭk), gen′o·typ′i·cal adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Genetics) the genetic constitution of an organism
2. (Genetics) a group of organisms with the same genetic constitution
genotypic, ˌgenoˈtypical adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
gen•o•type(ˈdʒɛn əˌtaɪp, ˈdʒi nə-)
1. the genetic makeup of an organism or group of organisms with reference to a single trait or set of traits.
2. the sum total of genes transmitted from parent to offspring. Compare phenotype.
gen`o•typ′ic (-ˈtɪp ɪk) gen`o•typ′i•cal, adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The genetic makeup of an organism as distinguished from its physical characteristics. Compare phenotype.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The genetic makeup of an organism.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||genotype - a group of organisms sharing a specific genetic constitution|
biological group - a group of plants or animals
biotype - organisms sharing a specified genotype or the genotype (or peculiarities) so shared
|2.||genotype - the particular alleles at specified loci present in an organism|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
genotype[ˈdʒenəʊtaɪp] N → genotipo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
genotype[ˈdʒɛnəʊˈtaɪp] n → genotipo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. genotipo, constitución genética de un organismo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.