Hess(redirected from Hess, Victor Francis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Hess, Victor Francis: Victor Franz Hess
1. (Biography) Dame Myra. 1890–1965, English pianist
2. (Biography) (Walther Richard) Rudolf (ˈruːdɔlf). 1894–1987, German Nazi leader. He made a secret flight to Scotland (1941) to negotiate peace with Britain but was held as a prisoner of war; later sentenced to life imprisonment at the Nuremberg trials (1946); committed suicide
3. (Biography) Victor Francis. 1883–1964, US physicist, born in Austria: pioneered the investigation of cosmic rays: shared the Nobel prize for physics (1936)
1. Dame Myra, 1890–1965, English pianist.
2. Victor Francis, 1883–1964, U.S. physicist, born in Austria: Nobel prize 1936.
3. Walter Rudolf, 1881–1973, Swiss physiologist: Nobel prize for physiology or medicine 1949.
4. (Walther Richard) Rudolf, 1894–1987, German Nazi official.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hess - English pianist (1890-1965)|
|2.||Hess - Swiss physiologist noted for studies of the brain (1881-1973)|
|3.||Hess - Nazi leader who in 1941 flew a solo flight to Scotland in an apparent attempt to negotiate a peace treaty with Great Britain but was imprisoned for life (1894-1987)|
|4.||Hess - United States physicist (born in Austria) who was a discoverer of cosmic radiation (1883-1964)|