References in classic literature ?
Well, after the student has learned the sex of a great number of nouns, he is still in a difficulty, because he finds it impossible to persuade his tongue to refer to things as "he" and "she," and "him" and "her," which it has been always accustomed to refer to it as "it." When he even frames a German sentence in his mind, with the hims and hers in the right places, and then works up his courage to the utterance-point, it is no use-- the moment he begins to speak his tongue files the track and all those labored males and females come out as "its." And even when he is reading German to himself, he always calls those things "it," where as he ought to read in this way:
"The trunks being now ready, he DE- after kissing his mother and sisters, and once more pressing to his bosom his adored Gretchen, who, dressed in simple white muslin, with a single tuberose in the ample folds of her rich brown hair, had tottered feebly down the stairs, still pale from the terror and excitement of the past evening, but longing to lay her poor aching head yet once again upon the breast of him whom she loved more dearly than life itself, PARTED."
This explains why, whenever a person says SIE to me, I generally try to kill him, if a stranger.
Now, by the above dissection, the reader will see that in Germany a man may THINK he is a man, but when he comes to look into the matter closely, he is bound to have his doubts; he finds that in sober truth he is a most ridiculous mixture; and if he ends by trying to comfort himself with the thought that he can at least depend on a third of this mess as being manly and masculine, the humiliating second thought will quickly remind him that in this respect he is no better off than any woman or cow in the land.
It opens its Mouth to cry for Help; but if any Sound comes out of him, alas he is drowned by the raging of the Storm.
For instance, there is a word which means a runaway, or the act of glancing through a book, according to the placing of the emphasis; and another word which signifies to ASSOCIATE with a man, or to AVOID him, according to where you put the emphasis--and you can generally depend on putting it in the wrong place and getting into trouble.
Let him talk right along, fearlessly; let him pour his indifferent German forth, and when he lacks for a word, let him heave a SCHLAG into the vacuum; all the chances are that it fits it like a plug, but if it doesn't let him promptly heave a ZUG after it; the two together can hardly fail to bung the hole; but if, by a miracle, they SHOULD fail, let him simply say ALSO!
July 1.--In the hospital yesterday, a word of thirteen syllables was successfully removed from a patient--a North German from near Hamburg; but as most unfortunately the surgeons had opened him in the wrong place, under the impression that he contained a panorama, he died.
It was only the SOUND that helped him, not the meaning;  and so, at last, when he learned that the emphasis was not on the first syllable, his only stay and support was gone, and he faded away and died.
He said that HIMS and IT Department of PIC is performing effectively, which would be taken up to the optimum level.
The 6th annual HIMS Conference 2015 is the premier gathering for the healthcare information management industry.
The honour came just four weeks after the girls welcomed home their dad Petty Officer Naval Nurse Gary Hims from a sixmonth tour in Afghanistan.
Dictionary browser ?
- Himalaya honeysuckle
- Himalaya Mountains
- Himalayan cat
- Himalayan cedar
- Himalayan guinea pig
- Himalayan lilac
- Himalayan rhubarb
- Himantoglossum hircinum
- Himantopus himantopus
- Himantopus himantopus leucocephalus
- Himantopus mexicanus
- Himantopus novae-zelandiae
- Himantopus stilt
- Himmler Heinrich
- Hinayana Buddhism
- hind end
- hind leg
- hind limb
- hind wing
- Hindemith Paul
Full browser ?
- Himpunan Ahli Kesehatan Lingkungan Indonesia
- Himpunan Ahli Konstruksi Indonesia
- Himpunan Ahli Teknik Hidraulik Indonesia
- Himpunan Ahli Teknik Tanah Indonesia
- Himpunan Alumni Timur Tengah
- Himpunan Desainer Interior Indonesia
- Himpunan Kerukunan Tani Indonesia
- Himpunan Kimia Bahan Alam Indonesia
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Fakultas Ekonomi
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Fisika Teknik
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Geofisika Indonesia
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Informatika
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Jurnalistik
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Jurusan Manajemen
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Peduli Sosial
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Teknik Computer-Informatika ITS
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Teknik Industri
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Teknik Kimia
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Teknik Lingkungan
- Himpunan Mahasiswa Teknik Sipil
- Himpunan Masyarakat Peduli Transmigrasi Indonesia
- Himpunan Nelayan Seluruh Indonesia
- Himpunan Pedagang Pasar Klewer
- Himpunan Pelajar Bahasa Seluruh Indonesia
- Himpunan Pengusaha Muda Indonesia
- Himpunan Pers Mahasiswa Independen
- Himpunan Psikologi Indonesia
- Himpunan Ulama Dayah Aceh
- Himpunan Wanita Penyandang Cacat Indonesia
- himself again
- himself silly
- Himyarite empire
- Himyarite Kingdom
- Himyarite Kingdom
- Hin-2 protein