Himyarite(redirected from Himyarites)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
Related to Himyarites: Minaean Kingdom
Relating to the Himyarites or their language or culture.
1. A member of an ancient tribe of southwest Arabia.
2. The Semitic language of the ancient Himyarites.
[After Himyar, a legendary king of Yemen.]
Him′yar·it′ic (-rĭt′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of an ancient people of SW Arabia, sometimes regarded as including the Sabeans
2. (Historical Terms) a member of an ancient people of SW Arabia, sometimes regarded as including the Sabeans
3. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their culture
4. (Placename) of or relating to this people or their culture
5. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their culture
[C19: named after Himyar legendary king in ancient Yemen]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. one of an ancient people of S Arabia speaking a Semitic language.adj.
2. Also, Him`yar•it′ic (-ˈrɪt ɪk) of or pertaining to the Himyarites.
[1835–45; < Arabic ḥimyar (name of a tribe and an old dynasty of Yemen) + -ite1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.