Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Relating to the Himyarites or their language or culture.
1. A member of an ancient tribe of southwest Arabia.
2. The Semitic language of the ancient Himyarites.
[After Himyar, a legendary king of Yemen.]
Him′yar·it′ic (-rĭt′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) the extinct language of the Himyarites, belonging to the SE Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family
2. (Historical Terms) the extinct language of the Himyarites, belonging to the SE Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family
3. (Languages) of, relating to, or using this language
4. (Historical Terms) of, relating to, or using this language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014