Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A group of vernacular Indic dialects spoken in northern India.
2. The literary and official language of northern India that is based on these dialects. It is written in Devanagari and uses Sanskrit as a resource language.
[Hindi Hindī, from Hind, India, from Persian, from Old Persian Hinduš, Sind, from Sanskrit sindhuḥ, river.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) a language or group of dialects of N central India. It belongs to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family and is closely related to Urdu. See also Hindustani
2. (Languages) a formal literary dialect of this language, the official language of India, usually written in Nagari script
3. (Peoples) a person whose native language is Hindi
[C18: from Hindi hindī, from Hind India, from Old Persian Hindu the river Indus]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
an Indo-Aryan language of N India, having equal status with English as an official language throughout India.
[1790–1800; < Hindi, Urdu Hindī= Persian Hind India (compare Skt Sindhu the river Indus; sense extended to “region of the Indus, Sind”) + -ī suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hindi - the most widely spoken of modern Indic vernaculars; spoken mostly in the north of India; along with English it is the official language of India; usually written in Devanagari script|
Sanskrit, Sanskritic language - (Hinduism) an ancient language of India (the language of the Vedas and of Hinduism); an official language of India although it is now used only for religious purposes
|Adj.||1.||Hindi - of or relating to or supporting Hinduism; "the Hindu faith"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Hindi[ˈhɪndiː] N (Ling) → hindi m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Hindi nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Hindi[ˈhɪndɪ] n (language) → hindi m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995