hogshead(redirected from Hogs Head)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Abbr. hhd Any of various units of volume or capacity ranging from 63 to 140 gallons (238 to 530 liters), especially a unit of capacity used in liquid measure in the United States equal to 63 gallons (238 liters).
2. A large barrel or cask with this capacity.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Units) a unit of capacity, used esp for alcoholic beverages. It has several values, being 54 imperial gallons in the case of beer and 52.5 imperial gallons in the case of wine
2. (Brewing) a large cask used for shipment of wines and spirits
[C14: of obscure origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a large cask, esp. one containing from 63 to 140 gallons (238 to 530 liters).
2. any of various units of liquid measure, esp. one equivalent to 63 gallons (238 liters). Abbr.: hhd
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A unit of liquid capacity equal to two thiry-one-and-a-half-gallon barrels.
2. A large barrel of sixty-three-gallon capacity.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hogshead - a British unit of capacity for alcoholic beverages|
British capacity unit, Imperial capacity unit - a unit of measure for capacity officially adopted in the British Imperial System; British units are both dry and wet
|2.||hogshead - a large cask especially one holding 63 gals|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
hogshead[ˈhɒgzhed] N medida de capacidad esp del vino (= 52,5 galones, aprox. 225 litros) → pipa f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007