Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Holmes: Sherlock Holmes
Holmes(hōmz, hōlmz), Oliver Wendell 1809-1894.
American physician and writer. A professor of anatomy and physiology at Harvard (1847-1882), he wrote humorous conversational pieces, including The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table (1858).
Holmes, Oliver Wendell, Jr. 1841-1935.
American jurist who served as an associate justice of the US Supreme Court (1902-1932). Many of his opinions greatly influenced the American concept of law.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Oliver Wendell. 1809–94, US author, esp of humorous essays, such as The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table (1858) and its sequels
2. (Biography) his son, Oliver Wendell. 1841–1935, US jurist, noted for his liberal judgments
3. (Biography) Sir Paul.1950–2013, New Zealand radio and television broadcaster; presenter of The Paul Holmes Breakfast, (1987–2008)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Oliver Wendell, 1809–94, U.S. poet, essayist, and physician.
2. his son, Oliver Wendell ( “the Great Dissenter” ), 1841–1935, U.S. jurist.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Holmes - a fictitious detective in stories by A. Conan Doyle|
|2.||Holmes - United States jurist noted for his liberal opinions (1841-1935)|
|3.||Holmes - United States writer of humorous essays (1809-1894)|
|4.||Holmes - English geologist and supporter of the theory of continental drift (1890-1965)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.