Holmes(redirected from Holmesian)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Holmes(hōmz, hōlmz), Oliver Wendell 1809-1894.
American physician and writer. A professor of anatomy and physiology at Harvard (1847-1882), he wrote humorous conversational pieces, including The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table (1858).
Holmes, Oliver Wendell, Jr. 1841-1935.
American jurist who served as an associate justice of the US Supreme Court (1902-1932). Many of his opinions greatly influenced the American concept of law.
1. (Biography) Oliver Wendell. 1809–94, US author, esp of humorous essays, such as The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table (1858) and its sequels
2. (Biography) his son, Oliver Wendell. 1841–1935, US jurist, noted for his liberal judgments
3. (Biography) Sir Paul.1950–2013, New Zealand radio and television broadcaster; presenter of The Paul Holmes Breakfast, (1987–2008)
1. Oliver Wendell, 1809–94, U.S. poet, essayist, and physician.
2. his son, Oliver Wendell ( “the Great Dissenter” ), 1841–1935, U.S. jurist.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Holmes - a fictitious detective in stories by A. Conan Doyle|
|2.||Holmes - United States jurist noted for his liberal opinions (1841-1935)|
|3.||Holmes - United States writer of humorous essays (1809-1894)|
|4.||Holmes - English geologist and supporter of the theory of continental drift (1890-1965)|