devolution(redirected from Home rule municipality)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A passing down or descent through successive stages of time or a process.
2. Transference, as of rights or qualities, to a successor.
3. Delegation of authority or duties to a subordinate or substitute.
4. A transfer of powers from a central government to local units.
5. Biology Degeneration.
[Late Latin dēvolūtiō, dēvolūtiōn-, from Latin dēvolūtus, past participle of dēvolvere, to roll down, fall to; see devolve.]
dev′o·lu′tion·ar′y (-shə-nĕr′ē) adj.
1. the act, fact, or result of devolving
2. a passing onwards or downwards from one stage to another
3. (Biology) another word for degeneration3
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a transfer or allocation of authority, esp from a central government to regional governments or particular interests
[C16: from Medieval Latin dēvolūtiō a rolling down, from Latin dēvolvere to roll down, sink into; see devolve]
ˌdevoˈlutionist n, adj
dev•o•lu•tion(ˌdɛv əˈlu ʃən; esp. Brit. ˈdi və-)
1. the act or fact of devolving; passage onward from stage to stage.
2. the passing on to a successor of property or an unexercised right.
3. disappearance or simplification of structure or function in the course of evolution.
4. the transfer of power or authority from a central government to a local government.
dev`o•lu′tion•ar′y, adj., n.
devolution- A passing down from stage to stage or the passing of property, rights, or authority from one person to another; it implies moving backward.
See also related terms for rights.
The transfer of power from a central government to smaller units such as regional authorities.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||devolution - the process of declining from a higher to a lower level of effective power or vitality or essential quality|
physical process, process - a sustained phenomenon or one marked by gradual changes through a series of states; "events now in process"; "the process of calcification begins later for boys than for girls"
attack - the onset of a corrosive or destructive process (as by a chemical agent); "the film was sensitive to attack by acids"; "open to attack by the elements"
obsolescence - the process of becoming obsolete; falling into disuse or becoming out of date; "a policy of planned obsolescence"
macular degeneration - eye disease caused by degeneration of the cells of the macula lutea and results in blurred vision; can cause blindness
|2.||devolution - the delegation of authority (especially from a central to a regional government)|
governing, government activity, government, governance, administration - the act of governing; exercising authority; "regulations for the governing of state prisons"; "he had considerable experience of government"
noun transfer of power, decentralization, distribution of power, surrender of power, relinquishment of power We are talking about devolution for Scotland.
devolution[ˌdɛvəˈluːʃən ˌdiːvəˈluːʃən] n → décentralisation f
devolution[ˌdiːvəˈluːʃ/ən] n (Pol) → decentramento
n. devolución. V.: catabolism