Khoikhoi(redirected from Hotentot)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Khoikhoi or Khoi·khois or Khoi·khoin (-koi′ĭn)
1. A member of a group of pastoral peoples of Namibia and South Africa, including the Nama.
2. Any of the Khoisan languages of the Khoikhoi. In both senses also called Khoekhoe.
[Nama khoekhoen, the Nama people : khoekhoe, to speak Nama (from khoe-, person, as in khoeb, man khoes, woman) + -n, pl. common gender suff.]
1. (Peoples) a member of a race of people of Southern Africa, of short stature and a dark yellowish-brown complexion, who formerly occupied the region near the Cape of Good Hope and are now almost extinct
2. (Languages) any of the languages of this people, belonging to the Khoisan family
n., pl. -khois, (esp. collectively) -khoi.
1. a member of any of a group of pastoral peoples, physically and linguistically akin to the San, who inhabited present-day Cape Province, South Africa, in the 17th century.
2. the Khoisan language or languages of the Khoikhoi, now principally represented by the speech of the Nama.