Howard(redirected from Howard, Trevor (Wallace))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
How·ard(hou′ərd), Catherine 1520?-1542.
Queen of England as the fifth wife of Henry VIII (1540-1542). She was accused of adultery and subsequently executed.
Howard, Henry First Earl of Surrey. 1517?-1547.
English poet and soldier remembered for his sonnets and his translations of two books of Virgil's Aeneid. In 1547 he was falsely charged with treason and executed.
Howard, John Winston Born 1939.
Australian politician who served as the prime minister (1996-2007).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Catherine. ?1521–42, fifth wife of Henry VIII of England; beheaded
2. (Biography) Charles, Lord Howard of Effingham and 1st Earl of Nottingham. 1536–1624, Lord High Admiral of England (1585–1618). He commanded the fleet that defeated the Spanish Armada (1588)
3. (Biography) Sir Ebenezer. 1850–1928, English town planner, who introduced garden cities
4. (Biography) Henry Howard See Surrey2
5. (Biography) John. 1726–90, English prison reformer
6. (Biography) John Winston. born 1939, Australian politician; prime minister of Australia (1996–2007)
7. (Biography) Leslie. real name Leslie Howard Stainer. 1890–1943, British actor of Hungarian descent. His many films included The Scarlet Pimpernel (1938), Pygmalion (1938), and Gone With the Wind (1939)
8. (Biography) Trevor. 1916-88, British actor. His many films include Brief Encounter (1946), The Third Man (1949), Ryan's Daughter (1970), and White Mischief (1987)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Catherine, Catherine Howard.
2. Henry, Surrey, Henry Howard, Earl of.
3. John Winston, born 1939, prime minister of Australia since 1996.
4. Sidney (Coe) (kō), 1891–1939, U.S. playwright and short-story writer.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Howard - English actor of stage and screen (1893-1943)|
|2.||Howard - Queen of England as the fifth wife of Henry VIII who was accused of adultery and executed (1520-1542)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.