count palatine(redirected from Hrabia Palatyn)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. counts palatine
a. Any of various noblemen originally exercising certain royal powers within their own domains, especially a count of the Holy Roman Empire having sovereign powers in his own territories.
b. A feudal lord having sovereign powers over his lands.
2. The titled proprietor of a county palatine in England or Ireland.
n, pl counts palatine
1. (Historical Terms) (in the Holy Roman Empire)
a. originally an official who administered the king's domains or his justice
b. later, a count who exercised royal authority in his own domains
2. (Historical Terms) (in England and Ireland) an earl or other lord of a county palatine
3. (Historical Terms) (in the late Roman Empire) a palace official who exercised judicial authority
n., pl. counts palatine.
1. (formerly, in Germany) a count having jurisdiction in his fief or province.
2. (formerly, in England and Ireland) an earl or other county proprietor who exercised royal prerogatives within his county.
n pl <-s -> → Pfalzgraf m