Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Hy·der·a·bad(hī′dər-ə-băd′, -bäd′, hī′drə-)
1. A city of south-central India east-southeast of Mumbai. Center of a former Mughal kingdom, Hyderabad was founded in 1589 and is today a commercial center and transportation hub and is the capital of both Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
2. A city of southern Pakistan on the Indus River northeast of Karachi. Founded in 1768, it was occupied by the British in 1843. The city is noted for its handicrafts.
Hyderabad(ˈhaɪdərəˌbɑːd; -ˌbæd; ˈhaɪdrə-)
1. (Placename) a city in S central India, capital of Andhra Pradesh state and capital of former Hyderabad state; university (1918). Pop: 3 449 878 (2001)
2. (Placename) a former state of S India: divided in 1956 between the states of Andhra Pradesh, Mysore, and Maharashtra
3. (Placename) a city in SW Pakistan, on the River Indus: seat of the University of Sind (1947). Pop: 1 392 000 (2005 est)
Hy•der•a•bad(ˈhaɪ dər əˌbɑd, -ˌbæd)
1. a former state in S India, now part of Andhra Pradesh.
2. the capital of Andhra Pradesh, India, in the W part. 3,145,939.
3. a city in SE Pakistan, on the Indus River. 1,107,000.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hyderabad - a city in southern Pakistan on the Indus River|
|2.||Hyderabad - a city in south central India in Andhra Pradesh|