acyclic(redirected from Hydrocarbons, acyclic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Botany Not cyclic. Used especially of flowers whose parts are arranged in spirals rather than in whorls, as in magnolias.
2. Chemistry Having an open-chain molecular structure rather than a ring-shaped structure.
1. (Chemistry) chem not cyclic; having an open chain structure
2. (Botany) botany having flower parts arranged in a spiral rather than a whorl
a•cy•clic(eɪˈsaɪ klɪk, eɪˈsɪk lɪk)
1. not cyclic: an acyclic flower.
2. of or pertaining to a chemical compound not containing a closed chain or ring of atoms.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||acyclic - not cyclic; especially having parts arranged in spirals rather than whorls|
cyclic - forming a whorl or having parts arranged in a whorl; "cyclic petals"; "cyclic flowers"
|2.||acyclic - having an open chain structure|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
cyclic - of a compound having atoms arranged in a ring structure