hydrophobic(redirected from Hydrophobic interaction)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Hydrophobic interaction: Hydrophobic Interaction Chromatography
1. Repelling, tending not to combine with, or incapable of dissolving in water.
2. Of or exhibiting hydrophobia.
hy′dro·pho·bic′i·ty (-bĭs′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Pathology) of or relating to hydrophobia
2. (Chemistry) chem tending not to dissolve in, mix with, or be wetted by water: a hydrophobic colloid. Compare hydrophilic
hy•dro•pho•bic(ˌhaɪ drəˈfoʊ bɪk)
1. pertaining to or affected with hydrophobia.
2. lacking affinity for water; tending to repel or not to absorb water.
hy`dro•pho•bic′i•ty (-ˈbɪs ɪ ti) n.
Water-hating. Refers to a chemical or part of a chemical that repels water.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||hydrophobic - lacking affinity for water; tending to repel and not absorb water; tending not to dissolve in or mix with or be wetted by water|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
hydrophilic - having a strong affinity for water; tending to dissolve in, mix with, or be wetted by water
|2.||hydrophobic - abnormally afraid of water |
afraid - filled with fear or apprehension; "afraid even to turn his head"; "suddenly looked afraid"; "afraid for his life"; "afraid of snakes"; "afraid to ask questions"