breve(redirected from I-breve)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A symbol ( ̆ ) placed over a vowel to show that it has a short sound.
2. A curved mark used to indicate a short or unstressed syllable of verse.
3. Music A note equivalent to two whole notes.
[Middle English, written communication, from Old French, from Medieval Latin, short syllable, from Latin, neuter of brevis, short; see brief.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Phonetics & Phonology) an accent, (˘), placed over a vowel to indicate that it is of short duration or is pronounced in a specified way
2. (Music, other) music a note, now rarely used, equivalent in time value to two semibreves
3. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church a less common word for brief7
[C13: from Medieval Latin breve, from Latin brevis short; see brief]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a mark (˘) used over a vowel in some pronunciation systems to show that it is short, or to indicate a specific pronunciation.
2. this same mark used to indicate a short or unstressed syllable in prosody.
3. a musical note equivalent to two semibreves or whole notes.
[1250–1300; Middle English < Medieval Latin, Latin breve short; see brief]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
breve[briːv] N (Mus, Typ) → breve f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Brit Mus) → Brevis f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007