Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An ancient region of Transcaucasia roughly equivalent to the present-day Republic of Georgia. Iberia was allied to Rome and later ruled by a Persian dynasty. It became a Byzantine province in the sixth century ad.
2. See Iberian Peninsula.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) the Iberian Peninsula
2. (Placename) an ancient region in central Asia, south of the Caucasus corresponding approximately to present-day Georgia
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
I•be•ri•a(aɪˈbɪər i ə)
1. Also called Ibe′rian Penin′sula. a peninsula in SW Europe, comprising Spain and Portugal.
2. an ancient region S of the Caucasus in what is now the Georgian Republic.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Iberia - an ancient geographical region to the south of the Caucasus Mountains that corresponded approximately to the present-day Georgia|
Iberian - a native or inhabitant of Iberia in the Caucasus
|2.||Iberia - a peninsula in southwestern Europe |
Portugal, Portuguese Republic - a republic in southwestern Europe on the Iberian Peninsula; Portuguese explorers and colonists in the 15th and 16th centuries created a vast overseas empire (including Brazil)
Andorra, Principality of Andorra - a small republic in the eastern Pyrenees between Spain and France
Espana, Kingdom of Spain, Spain - a parliamentary monarchy in southwestern Europe on the Iberian Peninsula; a former colonial power
Europe - the 2nd smallest continent (actually a vast peninsula of Eurasia); the British use `Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles
Iberian - a native or inhabitant of the Iberian Peninsula (especially in ancient times)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Iberia[aɪˈbɪərɪə] N → Iberia f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Iberien nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007