stupidity(redirected from Idiocity)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Idiocity: dimwitted
n. pl. stu·pid·i·ties
1. The quality or condition of being stupid.
2. A stupid act, remark, or idea.
n, pl -ties
1. the quality or state of being stupid
2. a stupid act, remark, etc
stu•pid•i•ty(stuˈpɪd ɪ ti, styu-)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the state, quality, or fact of being stupid.
2. a stupid act, notion, speech, etc.
- Assholes are like weeds, a bitch to get rid of and when you do, another one grows back in the same place —Jonathan Kellerman
- Brains like mashed potatoes —Anon
- Dumb as a beetle —Anon
The beetle has been linked to dullness and stupidity since the sixteenth century.
- Dumb as a stick of wood —Anon
- Dumb as pure white lead —John Updike
- Had the brains of a Playboy bunny and fucked like one —Jonathan Valin
- He’d be sharper than a serpent’s tooth, if he wasn’t as dull as ditch water —Charles Dickens
A Dickensian twist on King Lear’s lament about an ungrateful child.
- He’s like the man who thinks it’s raining when you pee in his eyes —Anon
- His head was as empty as a politician’s speech —Anon
- I’m as thick as a plank —Princess Diana excusing herself from playing a game with a patient during a hospital visit, quoted, Public Radio
- (About as) intelligent as a bundle of shawls —Henry James
- Isn’t very intelligent … he’s like a hound that simply follows the scent. He crumples his nose up, looking for his fleas —Henri-Pierre Roche
- Like dogs, that meeting with nobody else, bit one another —John Ray’s Proverbs
- (He) looked as if he’d stood in line twice when the brains were being handed out —Christopher Hale
- Look stupid as a poet in search of a simile —Thomas Holcroft
- A man with a small head is like a pin without any, very apt to get into things beyond his depth —Josh Billings
- (A snail’s about as) smart as mud —CBS-TV news story about snails being grown for escargot lovers, November 5, 1986
- (That man is) so stupid it sits on him like a halo —Emlyn Williams
- (The free press in Israel has belatedly awakened to the meaning of this act, which was as) stupid as cracking the safe of your own bank —William Safire, New York Times/Op-ed, March 9, 1987
Safire’s simile refers to Israel’s recruitment of an American as a spy.
- Stupid as jugs without handles —Honoré de Balzac
- Stupid as oysters —August E. F. Von Kotzbue
- To serve an unintelligent man is like crying in the wilderness, massaging the body of a dead man, planting water-lilies on dry land, whispering in the ear of the deaf —Panchatantra
- While he was not dumber than an ox, he was not any smarter either —James Thurber
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stupidity - a poor ability to understand or to profit from experience|
inability - lack of ability (especially mental ability) to do something
backwardness, mental retardation, subnormality, slowness, retardation - lack of normal development of intellectual capacities
craziness, foolishness, folly, madness - the quality of being rash and foolish; "trying to drive through a blizzard is the height of folly"; "adjusting to an insane society is total foolishness"
vacuousness - indicative of or marked by mental vacuity and an absence of ideas; "the vacuousness of her face belied her feelings"
intelligence - the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience
|2.||stupidity - a stupid mistake|
1. lack of intelligence, imbecility, obtuseness, simplicity, thickness, slowness, dullness, dimness, dumbness (informal), feeble-mindedness, lack of brain, denseness, brainlessness, doziness (Brit. informal), asininity, dopiness (slang), thickheadedness I stared at him, astonished by his stupidity.
stupidity[stjuːˈpɪdəti] n → stupidité f
stupidity[stjuːˈpɪdɪtɪ] n → stupidità f inv
1. foolish; slow at understanding. a stupid mistake; He isn't as stupid as he looks. dom أحْمَق، غَبي глупав estúpido hloupý dumm dum ανόητος, κουτός, ηλίθιοςestúpido, bobo, tonto, memo rumal, juhm نادان tyhmä stupideטיפש मूर्ख, बेवकूफ, नासमझ glup, budalast ostoba tolol heimskur; heimskulegur stupido ばかな 어리석은 kvailas, bukaprotis muļķīgs; stulbs bodoh domdumgłupi, tępy احمق، نادان، نا پوه estúpido stupid, prost глупый; тупой hlúpy neumen glup dum, enfaldig โง่ aptal 愚蠢的 безглуздий بے وقوف ngu dại, đần độn 愚蠢的
2. in a bewildered or dazed state. He was (feeling) stupid from lack of sleep. simpel, versimpeld غَبي، مَخْبول зашеметен atordoado otupený benommen sløv ζαβλακωμένος, που βρίσκεται σε σύγχυση atontado uimane گيج pöllämystynyt hébété קהה-חושים जड़, सुन्न, सम्मोहित omamljen, smućen kábult pusing sljór, sinnulaus intontito 無感覚の 무감각한 apdujęs apdullis bengong sufsløv otępiały ګیج atordoado năucit осоловелый otupený zmeden glup omtöcknad มึนงง şaşkın 昏昏沈沈的 заціпенілий مخبوط ngẩn người ra, mụ đi 昏昏沉沉的ˈstupidly adverb
dom بِحَماقَه، بِغَباء глупаво estupidamente hloupě, tupě dumm dumt ανόηταestúpidamente rumalalt به طرزي احمقانه tyhmästi stupidement בְּטִיפּשוּת मूर्खतावश glupo, smućeno ostobán secara tolol heimskulega stupidamente 愚かにも 어리석게 kvailai muļķīgi; stulbi dengan bodoh domdumt, sløvtgłupio په احمقانه ډول estupidamente stupid, prosteşte глупо; тупо hlúpo neumno glupo dumt, enfaldigt อย่างโง่ ๆ aptalca 愚笨地 безглуздо بے وقوفی سے ngu dại, đần độn, ngẩn người ra 愚苯地stuˈpidity noun
domheid حَماقَه، غَباء глупост estupidez hloupost, tupost die Dummheit dumhed ηλιθιότητα, κουταμάραestupidez rumalus حماقت tyhmyys stupiditéטיפשות मूर्खता, नासमझी, बुद्धि हीनता glupost, tupoglavost ostobaság ketololan heimska stupidità 愚かさ 어리석음 kvailumas muļķība; stulbums kebodohan domheiddumhetgłupota حماقت estupidez stupiditate, prostie глупость; тупость hlúposť neumnost glupost dumhet, enfald ความโง่ aptallık 愚苯 дурість; тупість بے وقوفی sự ngu dại, đần độn, ngẩn người ra 愚苯