khan(redirected from Ilkhani)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
khan 1(kän, kăn)
1. A ruler, an official, or an important person in India and some central Asian countries.
2. A medieval ruler of a Mongol, Tatar, or Turkish tribe.
[Ultimately (partly via Urdu, khān) from Persian khān, from Old Turkic xān, title of subordinate Central Asian khans; akin to Old Turkic xāğān, overlord of other khans, probably of non-Turkic Central Asian origin. Sense 2, from Middle English caan, chan, from Old French kaan, ultimately (partly via Mongol qā'ān) from Old Turkic xāğān.]
khan 2(kän, kăn)
A caravansary in certain Asian countries.
[Arabic ḫān, inn, from Persian khān, house, from Middle Persian.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms)
a. (formerly) a title borne by medieval Chinese emperors and Mongol and Turkic rulers: usually added to a name: Kublai Khan.
b. such a ruler
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a title of respect borne by important personages in Afghanistan and central Asia
[C14: from Old French caan, from Medieval Latin caanus, from Turkish khān, contraction of khāqān ruler]
an inn in Turkey, certain Arab countries, etc; caravanserai
[C14: via Arabic from Persian ]
(Biography) See Imran Khan
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a title borne by rulers of the empire founded by Genghis Khan, and of the states that succeeded his empire in Asia and European Russia.
2. a title of respect used in Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and other countries of Asia.
[1350–1400; Middle English Ca(a)n, Chan ultimately < medieval Turkic xān]
an inn or caravansary.
[1350–1400; earlier kanne, cane, Middle English alchan « Arabic khān < Persian]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||khan - a title given to rulers or other important people in Asian countries|
|2.||khan - an inn in some eastern countries with a large courtyard that provides accommodation for caravans|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.