icon(redirected from Indexed Currency Option Note)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. also i·kon (ī′kŏn′)
a. An image; a representation.
b. A representation or picture of a sacred or sanctified Christian personage, traditionally used and venerated in the Eastern Church.
2. An important and enduring symbol: "The disposable lighter is an icon of the throwaway mentality that began to take shape in the years following World War II" (Susan Freinkel).
3. One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol: "He is ... a pop icon designed and manufactured for the video generation" (Harry F. Waters).
4. Computers A picture on a screen that represents a specific file, directory, window, option, or program.
[Latin īcōn, from Greek eikōn, from eikenai, to be like, seem.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Eastern Church (Greek & Russian Orthodox)) Also: ikon a representation of Christ, the Virgin Mary, or a saint, esp one painted in oil on a wooden panel, depicted in a traditional Byzantine style and venerated in the Eastern Church
2. an image, picture, representation, etc
3. a person or thing regarded as a symbol of a belief, nation, community, or cultural movement
4. a person regarded as a sex symbol or as a symbol of the latest fashion trends
5. (Computer Science) a pictorial representation of a facility available on a computer system, that enables the facility to be activated by means of a screen cursor rather than by a textual instruction
[C16: from Latin, from Greek eikōn image, from eikenai to be like]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a picture, image, or other representation.
2. an image of Christ, a saint, etc., usu. painted on a wooden panel or done in mosaics and venerated as sacred in the Eastern Church.
3. a sign or representation that stands for something by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it; symbol: an icon of womanhood.
4. a person or thing that is revered or idolized: a pop icon.
5. a small graphic image on a computer screen representing a disk drive, a file, or a software command, as a wastebasket that can be used to delete a file.
[1565–75; < Latin < Greek eikṓn likeness, image, figure]
i•co•nic•i•ty (ˌaɪ kəˈnɪs ɪ ti) n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
icon- Originally a "simile" in rhetoric; its etymological idea is of "similarity," from Greek eikon, "likeness, similarity."
See also related terms for similarity.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A religious painting (usually on wood or ivory) associated with Eastern churches.
2. A symbol or picture that represents an item of software or hardware.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||icon - (computer science) a graphic symbol (usually a simple picture) that denotes a program or a command or a data file or a concept in a graphical user interface|
computer science, computing - the branch of engineering science that studies (with the aid of computers) computable processes and structures
graphical user interface, GUI - a user interface based on graphics (icons and pictures and menus) instead of text; uses a mouse as well as a keyboard as an input device
symbol - an arbitrary sign (written or printed) that has acquired a conventional significance
|2.||icon - a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface; "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"|
bitmap, electronic image - an image represented as a two dimensional array of brightness values for pixels
chiaroscuro - a monochrome picture made by using several different shades of the same color
collage, montage - a paste-up made by sticking together pieces of paper or photographs to form an artistic image; "he used his computer to make a collage of pictures superimposed on a map"
transparency, foil - picture consisting of a positive photograph or drawing on a transparent base; viewed with a projector
iconography - the images and symbolic representations that are traditionally associated with a person or a subject; "religious iconography"; "the propagandistic iconography of a despot"
inset - a small picture inserted within the bounds or a larger one
reflection, reflexion - the image of something as reflected by a mirror (or other reflective material); "he studied his reflection in the mirror"
representation - a creation that is a visual or tangible rendering of someone or something
CAT scan, scan - an image produced by scanning; "he analyzed the brain scan"; "you could see the tumor in the CAT scan"
|3.||icon - a conventional religious painting in oil on a small wooden panel; venerated in the Eastern Church|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
icon[ˈaɪkɒn] N (gen, Comput) → icono m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
icon[ˈaɪkɒn] n (also) (Comput) → icona
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. (also ikon) especially in the Orthodox Churches, a painting etc of Christ or a saint. ikoon أيْقونَه، صورَة قِدّيس икона ícone ikona die Ikone ikon εικόνα, εικόνισμα icono ikoon تصویر حضرت عیسی یا مقدسان دیگر ikoni icône אִיקוֹנִין प्रतिमा, मूर्ति ikona ikon, szentkép lukisan, dsb., orang suci helgimynd, íkon icona 聖像 성상(聖像) ikona ikona, svētbilde lukisan icoonikon, helgenbildeikona د حضرت عیسی مجسمه ícone icoană икона ikona ikona ikona ikon รูปบูชาของพระเยซู พระแม่มารี หรือนักบุญต่างๆ ikon, ikona 聖像, 偶像 ікона لکڑی پر بنائی حضرت عیسی یا کسی اور مقدس شخصیت کی تصویر tượng thánh 圣像，偶像
2. a small graphic sign on a computer screen representing an application that the user can choose. ikoon أيْقونَه ، علامة على شاشَة الكومبيوتر икона ícone ikona die Icons, die Symbole ikon εικονίδιο προγράμματος σε οθόνη Η/Υ icono ikoon نماد تصویری kuvake icône סִמלוֹן अनुप्रतीक ikona ikon ikon icona 記号絵 아이콘 piktograma ikona ikon symboolikon, symbolikona مجسمه знак, символ ikona, piktogram ikona ikona ikon รูปสัญลักษณ์บนจอคอมพิวเตอร์ simge 電腦圖示 іконка کمپیوٹر پر کسی پروگرام کی شناختی علامت biểu tượng （计算机屏幕上表示命令、程序的）图标，图示
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
icon→ أَيْقُونَةٌ ikona ikon Ikone εικόνα icono ikoni icône ikona icona 聖像 아이콘 icoon ikon ikona ícone икона ikon คนที่มีผู้คนยกย่องสรรเสริญ ikon biểu tượng 偶像
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009