Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A period of mild weather occurring in late autumn.
2. A pleasant, tranquil, or flourishing period occurring near the end of something: the Indian summer of the administration.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a period of unusually settled warm weather after the end of summer proper
2. (Physical Geography) a period of unusually settled warm weather after the end of summer proper
3. a period of ease and tranquillity or of renewed productivity towards the end of a person's life or of an epoch
[originally US: probably so named because it was first noted in regions occupied by American Indians]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a period of mild, dry weather sometimes occurring in late October or early November.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A spell of mild weather in the late fall, or period of calmness or prosperity toward the end of something.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Indian summer - a period of unusually warm weather in the autumn|
period, period of time, time period - an amount of time; "a time period of 30 years"; "hastened the period of time of his recovery"; "Picasso's blue period"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
été indienété de la Saint-Martinété des Indiens
estate di S. Martinoestate di San Martinoestate indiana
pogodna jesieńpogodna jesień życia
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995