indigo(redirected from Indigo (color))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. in·di·gos or in·di·goes
a. Any of various shrubs or herbs of the genus Indigofera in the pea family, having pinnately compound leaves and usually red or purple flowers in axillary racemes.
b. A dark blue crystalline compound, C16H10N2O2, that is obtained from these plants or produced synthetically and is widely used as a textile dye. Also called indigotin.
2. Any of several related plants, especially those of the genera Amorpha and Baptisia.
3. The hue of that portion of the visible spectrum lying between blue and violet, evoked in the human observer by radiant energy with wavelengths of approximately 420 to 450 nanometers; a dark blue to grayish purple blue.
[Spanish índigo and Dutch indigo (from Portuguese endego), both from Latin indicum, from Greek Indikon (pharmakon), Indian (dye), neuter of Indikos, of India, from India, India, from Indos, the Indus River, from Old Persian Hinduš, Sind; see Hindi.]
n, pl -gos or -goes
1. (Dyeing) Also called: indigotin a blue vat dye originally obtained from plants but now made synthetically
2. (Plants) any of various tropical plants of the leguminous genus Indigofera, such as the anil, that yield this dye. Compare wild indigo
a. any of a group of colours that have the same blue-violet hue; a spectral colour
b. (as adjective): an indigo carpet.
[C16: from Spanish indico, via Latin from Greek Indikos of India]
n., pl. -gos, -goes,
1. a blue dye, C16H10N2O2, obtained from various plants, esp. of the genus Indigofera, or manufactured synthetically.
3. any hairy plant of the genus Indigofera, of the legume family, having clusters of usu. red or purple flowers.
4. a color ranging from a deep violet blue to a dark grayish blue.adj.
5. of the color indigo.
[1545–55; < Sp or Portuguese, índigo < Latin indicum < Greek indikón Indic]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||indigo - a blue dye obtained from plants or made synthetically|
|2.||indigo - deciduous subshrub of southeastern Asia having pinnate leaves and clusters of red or purple flowers; a source of indigo dye|
genus Indigofera, Indigofera - genus of tropical herbs and shrubs having odd-pinnate leaves and spurred flowers in long racemes or spikes
Indigofera anil, Indigofera suffruticosa, anil - shrub of West Indies and South America that is a source of indigo dye
|3.||indigo - a blue-violet color|
|Adj.||1.||indigo - having a color between blue and violet; "indigo flowers"|
n → Indigo nt or m
adj → indigofarben