inheritance(redirected from Inheritence)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Inheritence: polymorphism
a. The action of inheriting something: the inheritance of property from a relative.
b. Something inherited or to be inherited: Her inheritance included a large estate.
2. Something regarded as a heritage: the cultural inheritance of Rome. See Synonyms at heritage.
a. The process of genetic transmission of characteristics from parent or ancestor to offspring.
b. A characteristic so inherited.
c. The sum of genetically transmitted characteristics.
1. (Law) law
a. hereditary succession to an estate, title, etc
b. the right of an heir to succeed to property on the death of an ancestor
c. something that may legally be transmitted to an heir
2. the act of inheriting
3. something inherited; heritage
4. (Genetics) the derivation of characteristics of one generation from an earlier one by heredity
5. (Law) obsolete hereditary rights
in•her•it•ance(ɪnˈhɛr ɪ təns)
1. something that is or may be inherited; property passing at the owner's death to the heir or those entitled to succeed; legacy.
2. the genetic characters transmitted from parent to offspring.
3. something, as a quality or characteristic, received from progenitors or predecessors.
4. the act or fact of inheriting.
5. birthright; heritage.
[1375–1425; Middle English enheritance < Anglo-French]
In this diagram, pink pea flowers are produced by dominant genes (D) and white pea flowers are produced by recessive genes (r). When flowers having two dominant genes are mated with flowers having two recessive genes (top row), the first generation of plants (middle row) all have one dominant and one recessive gene (Dr). Since dominant genes suppress recessive ones, all the flowers in the first generation will be pink. In the second generation (bottom row), one of the four plants will have two recessive genes. Therefore, three of the flowers in the second generation will be pink and one will be white.
The process by which traits or characteristics pass from parents to offspring through the genes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||inheritance - hereditary succession to a title or an office or property|
acquisition - the act of contracting or assuming or acquiring possession of something; "the acquisition of wealth"; "the acquisition of one company by another"
|2.||inheritance - that which is inherited; a title or property or estate that passes by law to the heir on the death of the owner|
law, jurisprudence - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
primogeniture - right of inheritance belongs exclusively to the eldest son
borough English - a former English custom by which the youngest son inherited land to the exclusion of his older brothers
accretion - (law) an increase in a beneficiary's share in an estate (as when a co-beneficiary dies or fails to meet some condition or rejects the inheritance)
devise - (law) a gift of real property by will
heirloom - something that has been in a family for generations
heirloom - (law) any property that is considered by law or custom as inseparable from an inheritance is inherited with that inheritance
|3.||inheritance - (genetics) attributes acquired via biological heredity from the parents|
ancestry, filiation, lineage, derivation - inherited properties shared with others of your bloodline
gene linkage, linkage - (genetics) traits that tend to be inherited together as a consequence of an association between their genes; all of the genes of a given chromosome are linked (where one goes they all go)
X-linked dominant inheritance - hereditary pattern in which a dominant gene on the X chromosome causes a characteristic to be manifested in the offspring
X-linked recessive inheritance - hereditary pattern in which a recessive gene on the X chromosome results in the manifestation of characteristics in male offspring and a carrier state in female offspring
|4.||inheritance - any attribute or immaterial possession that is inherited from ancestors; "my only inheritance was my mother's blessing"; "the world's heritage of knowledge"|
attribute - an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of an entity
birthright - personal characteristics that are inherited at birth
background - a person's social heritage: previous experience or training; "he is a lawyer with a sports background"
birthright - a right or privilege that you are entitled to at birth; "free public education is the birthright of every American child"
upbringing - properties acquired during a person's formative years
mirasmiras almamiras olarak
tài sản thừa kế
(= money, property) → héritage m
to come into one's inheritance → entrer en possession de son héritage
to come into one's inheritance → entrer en possession de son héritage
1. to receive (property etc belonging to someone who has died). He inherited the house from his father; She inherited four thousand dollars from her father. erf يَرِثُ наследявам herdar (z)dědit erben arve κληρονομώheredar pärima ارث بردن periä hériter (de) לָרֶשֶת उत्तराधिकार में प्राप्त करना naslijediti (meg)örököl mewarisi erfa ereditare 相続する 물려받다 paveldėti mantot mewarisi ervenarve (o)dziedziczyć ميراث ، تركه herdar a moşteni наследовать zdediť podedovati naslediti ärva รับมรดก miras olarak almak 繼承 діставати в спадщину, успадковувати قانونا بطور جانشین حاصل کرنا thừa kế 继承
2. to have (qualities) the same as one's parents etc. She inherits her quick temper from her mother. geërf يَرِثُ عادةً أو صِفَةً наследявам herdar zdědit erben arve κληρονομώheredar pärima ارث بردن periä tenir לָרֶשֶת उत्ताराधिकार में प्राप्त करना, विरासत में पाना, अत्तराधिकार में पाना naslijediti örököl mewarisi sifat erfa avere 受け継ぐ 유전으로 이어받다 paveldėti pārmantot mewarisi sifat ervenarve (o)dziedziczyć ميراث herdar a moşteni унаследовать zdediť podedovati naslediti ärva สืบต่อ kalıtım yoluyla geçmek 遺傳到 успадковувати اسلاف سے وراثتہً پانا thừa hưởng 经遗传而得inˈheritance noun
1. money etc inherited. He spent most of his inheritance on drink. erfporsie ميراث، تَرِكَه наследство herança dědictví das Erbe arv κληρονομιάherencia pärand ارث perintö héritageירושה उत्तराधिकार nasljeđe örökség warisan arfur eredità 遺産 상속 재산 palikimas mantojums warisan erfenisarvspadek ميراث herança moştenire наследство dedičstvo dediščina nasleđe arv, arvedel เงินมรดก miras 遺產 спадщина میراث gia tài 遗产
2. the act of inheriting. The property came to him by inheritance. erflating وِراثَه наследяване herança dědictví die Vererbung arv κληρονομιάherencia pärimine ارث بری periytyminen héritageירושה उत्तराधिकार baštinjenje öröklés sebagai warisan erfð; arfur eredità 相続 상속 paveldėjimas mantošana sebagai warisan erflatingarv dziedziczenie تركه herança moştenire наследование dedičstvo dedovanje nasleđivanje arv การรับมรดก miras olarak, miras alma 繼承 успадкування ترکے میں پانا sự thừa kế 继承
inheritance→ مِيرَاثٌ dědictví arv Erbschaft κληρονομιά herencia perintö héritage nasljedstvo eredità 相続 상속 erfenis arv dziedzictwo herança наследство arv มรดก miras tài sản thừa kế 遗产
n. herencia. V.: heredity