spinning(redirected from Initial Public Offering Spinning)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The process of making fibrous material into yarn or thread.
2. The act of fishing with a light rod and a reel having a bail or similar device that guides the line around a stationary spool and that can be disengaged to let the line run freely, as when casting. Also called spin casting, spin fishing.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a. the act or process of spinning
b. (as modifier): spinning yarn.
2. (Angling) the act or technique of casting and drawing a revolving lure through the water so as to imitate the movement of a live fish, etc
(Team Sports, other than specified) trademark a form of high-intensity exercise using exercise bikes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a. the act or process of twisting fibers, as cotton or rayon, into yarn or thread.
b. the extrusion of a fiber-forming solution through a spinneret to form filaments.
2. the act or process of secreting and placing silk or silklike filaments, as in the construction of a web by a spider or the formation of a cocoon by a caterpillar.
3. Also called spin casting, spin fishing. the act or technique of fishing with a spinning reel and rod.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- heckle - First a "flax comb" for splitting and straightening the fibers for spinning; its metaphorical sense developed from its verb form, "to mangle by cutting, to cut roughly."
- distaff side, spear side - The female side of a family is the distaff side—the distaff being a stick used for holding yarn when spinning; the male side is the spear side.
- fouette - A spectacular pirouette in which the ballerina whips her raised leg around in an eggbeater motion while spinning on the other leg.
- turngiddy - Means dizzy from spinning around.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
spinning[ˈspɪnɪŋ] n [thread] (by hand) → filage m; (by machine) → filature fspinning top n → toupie fspinning wheel n → rouet mspin-off n
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Spinnen nt
spinningin cpds → Spinn-;
n → Jennymaschine f
n → Spinnerei f
n → Kreisel m
n → Spinnrad nt
n sing or pl → Spinnerei f, → Spinnstofffabrik f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
spinning[ˈspɪnɪŋ] n → filatura
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995