hybrid(redirected from Intergeneric hybrid)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Intergeneric hybrid: Interspecific hybrid
1. Genetics The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.
a. Something of mixed origin or composition, such as a word whose elements are derived from different languages.
b. Something having two kinds of components that produce the same or similar results, such as a vehicle powered by both an electric motor and an internal combustion engine as sources of power for the drivetrain.
[Latin hibrida, hybrida, mongrel.]
hy·brid′i·ty (hī-brĭd′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Biology) an animal or plant resulting from a cross between genetically unlike individuals. Hybrids between different species are usually sterile
2. anything of mixed ancestry
3. (Automotive Engineering) a vehicle that is powered by an internal-combustion engine and another source of power such as a battery
4. (Linguistics) a word, part of which is derived from one language and part from another, such as monolingual, which has a prefix of Greek origin and a root of Latin origin
5. (Automotive Engineering) (of a vehicle) powered by more than one source
6. denoting or being a hybrid; of mixed origin
7. (General Physics) physics (of an electromagnetic wave) having components of both electric and magnetic field vectors in the direction of propagation
8. (Electronics) electronics
a. (of a circuit) consisting of transistors and valves
b. (of an integrated circuit) consisting of one or more fully integrated circuits and other components, attached to a ceramic substrate. Compare monolithic3
[C17: from Latin hibrida offspring of a mixed union (human or animal)]
1. the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, or species, esp. as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.
2. a person produced by the interaction or crossbreeding of two unlike cultures, traditions, etc.
3. anything derived from unlike sources, or composed of disparate or incongruous elements; composite.
4. a word composed of elements originally drawn from different languages, as television, whose components come from Greek and Latin.adj.
5. bred from two distinct races, breeds, varieties, or species.
6. composite; formed or composed of heterogeneous elements.
[1595–1605; < Latin hybrida, hibrida a crossbred animal]
hy′brid•ism, hy•brid′i•ty (-ɪ ti) n.
A plant or animal that has parents of different species or varieties. A mule, which is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, is an example of a hybrid. Hybrid animals are usually unable to reproduce.
1. A word made up of elements from different languages, for example, “television” from “tele” (Greek, meaning “far”) and visio” (Latin, meaning “see”).
2. The offspring of two parents differing in one or more inherited characteristics.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hybrid - a word that is composed of parts from different languages (e.g., `monolingual' has a Greek prefix and a Latin root)|
word - a unit of language that native speakers can identify; "words are the blocks from which sentences are made"; "he hardly said ten words all morning"
Latin - any dialect of the language of ancient Rome
|2.||hybrid - a composite of mixed origin; "the vice-presidency is a hybrid of administrative and legislative offices"|
|3.||hybrid - (genetics) an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock; especially offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties or breeds or species; "a mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey"|
organism, being - a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently
dihybrid - a hybrid produced by parents that differ only at two gene loci that have two alleles each
monohybrid - a hybrid produced by crossing parents that are homozygous except for a single gene locus that has two alleles (as in Mendel's experiments with garden peas)
|Adj.||1.||hybrid - produced by crossbreeding|
crossbred - bred from parents of different varieties or species
1. n → ibrido
2. adj → ibrido/a
a. híbrido-a, rel. al producto de un cruzamiento de diferentes especies en animales y plantas.