Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A native or inhabitant of Ionia.
2. One of a Hellenic people of Mycenaean origin that inhabited Attica, the Peloponnesus along the Saronic Gulf, Euboea, the Cyclades, and Ionia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Historical Terms) a member of a Hellenic people who settled in Attica in about 1100 bc and later colonized the islands and E coast of the Aegean Sea
1. (Historical Terms) of or relating to this people or their dialect of Ancient Greek; Ionic
2. (Placename) of or relating to Ionia
3. (Classical Music) music relating to or denoting an authentic mode represented by the ascending natural diatonic scale from C to C and forming the basis of the modern major key. See also Hypo-
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
I•o•ni•an(aɪˈoʊ ni ən)
1. a member of the ancient Greek people or group of peoples, principally migrants from Attica and Euboea, who colonized Ionia c1050–1000 b.c.
2. a native or inhabitant of Ionia.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Ionia or the Ionians.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ionian - a member of one of four linguistic divisions of the prehistoric Greeks|
|2.||Ionian - the ancient Greek inhabitants of Attica and related regions in Ionia|
|Adj.||1.||Ionian - of or pertaining to the ancient Ionians who lived in Attica and related territories, to their Ionic dialect of Greek, or to their culture|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007