iota(redirected from Iota (letter))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The ninth letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
2. A very small amount; a bit: not an iota of truth to that tale.
1. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) the ninth letter in the Greek alphabet (Ι, ι), a vowel or semivowel, transliterated as i or j
2. (usually used with a negative) a very small amount; jot (esp in the phrase not one or an iota)
[C16: via Latin from Greek, of Semitic origin; see jot]
n., pl. -tas.
1. a very small quantity; jot; whit.
2. the ninth letter of the Greek alphabet (Ι, ι).
[1600–10; < Latin iōta < Greek iôta < Semitic; compare Hebrew yōdh yod]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||iota - a tiny or scarcely detectable amount|
|2.||iota - the 9th letter of the Greek alphabet|
Greek alphabet - the alphabet used by ancient Greeks