Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Iranian: Iranian language
I·ra·ni·an(ĭ-rā′nē-ən, ĭ-rä′-, ī-rā′-)
Of or relating to Iran or its people, language, or culture.
a. A native or inhabitant of Iran.
b. A person of Iranian ancestry.
2. A branch of the Indo-European language family that includes Persian, Kurdish, Pashto, and other languages of Iran, Afghanistan, and western Pakistan.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a native, citizen, or inhabitant of Iran
2. (Languages) a branch of the Indo-European family of languages, divided into West Iranian (including Old Persian, Pahlavi, modern Persian, Kurdish, Baluchi, and Tajik) and East Iranian (including Avestan, Sogdian, Pashto, and Ossetic)
3. (Languages) Also: Persian or Farsi the modern Persian language
4. (Placename) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
5. (Languages) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
6. (Peoples) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
7. (Languages) belonging to or relating to the Iranian branch of Indo-European
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
I•ra•ni•an(ɪˈreɪ ni ən, ɪˈrɑ-, aɪˈreɪ-)
1. of or pertaining to Iran or its inhabitants.
2. of, pertaining to, or denoting one of the two major branches of the Indo-Iranian languages, including Persian, Kurdish, Baluchi, and Pashto.n.
3. the Iranian languages.
4. a native or inhabitant of Iran.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Iranian - a native or inhabitant of Iran; "the majority of Irani are Persian Shiite Muslims"|
Iran, Islamic Republic of Iran, Persia - a theocratic Islamic republic in the Middle East in western Asia; Iran was the core of the ancient empire that was known as Persia until 1935; rich in oil
Farsi - a person of Iranian descent; "many Farsi emigrated to India near Bombay"
|2.||Iranian - the modern Persian language spoken in Iran|
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Iranian language - the branch of the Indo-European family of languages including the Indic and Iranian language groups
Gathic - an ancient Iranian language
Tajiki, Tadzhik, Tajik - the Iranian language of the Tajik that is closely related to Farsi; spoken in Iran and Tajikistan
Kurdish - an Iranian language spoken in Turkey and Iran and Iraq and Syria and Russia
Balochi, Baluchi - an Iranian language spoken in Pakistan and Iran and Afghanistan and Russia and the Persian gulf
Pashto, Pashtu, Paxto, Afghani, Afghan - an Iranian language spoken in Afghanistan and Pakistan; the official language of Afghanistan
Ossete - a northeastern Iranian language spoken in Russia
Scythian - the Iranian language spoken by the ancient Scythians
|Adj.||1.||Iranian - of or relating to Iran or its people or language or culture; "Iranian mountains"; "Iranian security police"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
người Iranthuộc nước/người/tiếng Iran
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. adj → iraniano/a
2. n (person) → iraniano/a; (language) → iranico
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Iranian→ إِيرانِيٌّ, إِيرَانِيٌّ Íránec, íránský iraner, iransk Iraner, iranisch ιρανικός, Ιρανός iraní iranilainen iranien Iranac, iranski iraniano イランの, イラン人 이란 사람, 이란의 Iraans, Iraniër iraner, iransk Irańczyk, irański iraniano иранец, иранский iranier, iransk เกี่ยวกับอิหร่าน, ชาวอิหร่าน İran, İranlı người Iran, thuộc nước/người/tiếng Iran 伊朗人, 伊朗的
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009