Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Iranian: Iranian language
I·ra·ni·an(ĭ-rā′nē-ən, ĭ-rä′-, ī-rā′-)
Of or relating to Iran or its people, language, or culture.
a. A native or inhabitant of Iran.
b. A person of Iranian ancestry.
2. A branch of the Indo-European language family that includes Persian, Kurdish, Pashto, and other languages of Iran, Afghanistan, and western Pakistan.
1. (Peoples) a native, citizen, or inhabitant of Iran
2. (Languages) a branch of the Indo-European family of languages, divided into West Iranian (including Old Persian, Pahlavi, modern Persian, Kurdish, Baluchi, and Tajik) and East Iranian (including Avestan, Sogdian, Pashto, and Ossetic)
3. (Languages) Also: Persian or Farsi the modern Persian language
4. (Placename) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
5. (Languages) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
6. (Peoples) relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
7. (Languages) belonging to or relating to the Iranian branch of Indo-European
I•ra•ni•an(ɪˈreɪ ni ən, ɪˈrɑ-, aɪˈreɪ-)
1. of or pertaining to Iran or its inhabitants.
2. of, pertaining to, or denoting one of the two major branches of the Indo-Iranian languages, including Persian, Kurdish, Baluchi, and Pashto.n.
3. the Iranian languages.
4. a native or inhabitant of Iran.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Iranian - a native or inhabitant of Iran; "the majority of Irani are Persian Shiite Muslims"|
Iran, Islamic Republic of Iran, Persia - a theocratic Islamic republic in the Middle East in western Asia; Iran was the core of the ancient empire that was known as Persia until 1935; rich in oil
Farsi - a person of Iranian descent; "many Farsi emigrated to India near Bombay"
|2.||Iranian - the modern Persian language spoken in Iran|
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Iranian language - the branch of the Indo-European family of languages including the Indic and Iranian language groups
Gathic - an ancient Iranian language
Tajiki, Tadzhik, Tajik - the Iranian language of the Tajik that is closely related to Farsi; spoken in Iran and Tajikistan
Kurdish - an Iranian language spoken in Turkey and Iran and Iraq and Syria and Russia
Balochi, Baluchi - an Iranian language spoken in Pakistan and Iran and Afghanistan and Russia and the Persian gulf
Pashto, Pashtu, Paxto, Afghani, Afghan - an Iranian language spoken in Afghanistan and Pakistan; the official language of Afghanistan
Ossete - a northeastern Iranian language spoken in Russia
Scythian - the Iranian language spoken by the ancient Scythians
|Adj.||1.||Iranian - of or relating to Iran or its people or language or culture; "Iranian mountains"; "Iranian security police"|
người Iranthuộc nước/người/tiếng Iran
1. adj → iraniano/a
2. n (person) → iraniano/a; (language) → iranico