isobar(redirected from Isobar (meteorology))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Isobar (meteorology): Isotherms
1. A line on a weather map connecting points of equal atmospheric pressure. Also called isopiestic.
2. Any of two or more kinds of atoms having the same atomic mass but different atomic numbers.
i′so·bar′ic (-bär′ĭk, -băr′-) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) a line on a map connecting places of equal atmospheric pressure, usually reduced to sea level for purposes of comparison, at a given time or period
2. (General Physics) physics any of two or more atoms that have the same mass number but different atomic numbers: tin-115 and indium-115 are isobars. Compare isotope
[C19: from Greek isobarēs of equal weight, from iso- + baros weight]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a line drawn on a weather map or chart that connects points at which the barometric pressure is the same.
2. Also, i′so•bare` (-ˌbɛər) one of two or more atoms having equal atomic weights but different atomic numbers.
[1860–65; < Greek isobarḗs of equal weight]
i`so•bar′ic (-ˈbær-) adj.
i′so•bar`ism (-ˌbɑr-) n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A line drawn on a weather map connecting places having the same atmospheric pressure.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A line drawn on a map linking places with the same atmospheric pressure.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||isobar - (meteorology)an isogram connecting points having equal barometric pressure at a given time|
weather chart, weather map - (meteorology) a map showing the principal meteorological elements at a given time and over an extended region
meteorology - the earth science dealing with phenomena of the atmosphere (especially weather)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
isobar[ˈaɪsəʊbɑːʳ] N → isobara f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Isobare f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995