radiolabel(redirected from Isotopic labeling)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Isotopic labeling: radiolabeled
tr.v. ra·di·o·la·beled, ra·di·o·la·bel·ing, ra·di·o·la·bels or ra·di·o·la·belled or ra·di·o·la·bel·ling
To tag (a hormone, enzyme, or other substance) with a radioactive tracer.
A radioactive isotope used as a tracer; a radiotracer.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a radioactive marker, tracer, or label
to add a radioactive marker, tracer, or label to
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -beled, -bel•ing (esp. Brit.) -belled, -bel•ling. n.
1. an inscribed slip of paper, cloth, or other material, for attachment to something to indicate its manufacturer, nature, ownership, destination, etc.
2. a short word or phrase descriptive of a person, group, intellectual movement, etc.
3. a word or phrase indicating that what follows belongs in a particular category or classification, as the word Physics before a dictionary definition.
4. a brand or trademark, esp. of a manufacturer.
5. the manufacturer using such a label.
6. wall label.
7. a molding or dripstone over a door or window.
8. a radioactive or heavy isotope incorporated into a molecule for use as a tracer.
9. a narrow horizontal heraldic band with downward extensions.
10. Obs. a strip or narrow piece of anything.v.t.
11. to affix a label to; mark with a label.
12. to designate or describe by or on a label.
13. to put in a certain class; classify.
14. to incorporate a radioactive or heavy isotope into (a molecule) in order to make traceable.
[1275–1325; Middle English < Middle French: ribbon, probably < Germanic]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.