Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Israelite: Ancient Israelites
1. A native or inhabitant of the ancient Northern Kingdom of Israel.
2. A descendant of Jacob; a Jew.
3. A member of a people regarded as the chosen people of God.
4. A Jew not descended from the tribe of Levi and not a priest.
also Is·ra·el·it·ic (ĭz′rē-ə-lĭt′ĭk) Of or relating to ancient Israel, the ancient Israelites, or their culture.
1. (Bible) Bible a member of the ethnic group claiming descent from Jacob; a Hebrew
2. (Bible) Bible a citizen of the kingdom of Israel (922 to 721 bc) as opposed to Judah
3. (Protestantism) a member of any of various Christian sects who regard themselves as God's chosen people
4. an archaic and sometimes offensive word for a Jew
Is•ra•el•ite(ˈɪz ri əˌlaɪt, -reɪ-)
1. a descendant of Jacob, esp. a member of the Hebrew people who inhabited the ancient kingdom of Israel.
2. one of a group considered as God's chosen people.adj.
3. of or pertaining to ancient Israel or its people.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Israelite - a native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Israel|
Israel - an ancient kingdom of the Hebrew tribes at the southeastern end of the Mediterranean Sea; founded by Saul around 1025 BC and destroyed by the Assyrians in 721 BC
Samaritan - a member of the people inhabiting Samaria in biblical times
|2.||Israelite - a person belonging to the worldwide group claiming descent from Jacob (or converted to it) and connected by cultural or religious ties|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
Jewry - Jews collectively
Ashkenazi - a Jew of eastern European or German descent
Conservative Jew - Jew who keeps some requirements of Mosaic law but adapts others to suit modern circumstances
Essene - a member of an ascetic Jewish sect around the time of Jesus
Jewess - a woman who is a Jew
Levite - a member of the Hebrew tribe of Levi (especially the branch that provided male assistants to the temple priests)
Orthodox Jew - Jew who practices strict observance of Mosaic law
Pharisee - a member of an ancient Jewish sect noted for strict obedience to Jewish traditions
Reform Jew - liberal Jew who tries to adapt all aspects of Judaism to modern circumstances
Sadducee - a member of an ancient Jewish sect around the time of Jesus; opposed to the Pharisees
Wandering Jew - a legendary Jew condemned to roam the world for mocking Jesus at the Crucifixion
Zealot - a member of an ancient Jewish sect in Judea in the first century who fought to the death against the Romans and who killed or persecuted Jews who collaborated with the Romans
Zionist - a Jewish supporter of Zionism