Djibouti(redirected from Jabooty)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A country of eastern Africa on the Gulf of Aden. Djibouti was a French colony from 1896 until 1946 and a territory from 1946 until its independence in 1977. It was called French Somaliland from 1896 to 1967 and the French Territory of Afars and Issas from 1967 to 1977. Djibouti is the capital and largest city.
2. The capital and largest city of Djibouti, in the southeast part of the country on an inlet of the Gulf of Aden. It was founded by the French in 1888.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a republic in E Africa, on the Gulf of Aden: a French overseas territory (1946–77); became independent in 1977; mainly desert. Official languages: Arabic and French. Religion: Muslim majority. Currency: Djibouti franc. Capital: Djibouti. Pop: 792 198 (2013 est). Area: 23 200 sq km (8950 sq miles). Former name (until 1977): (Territory of the) Afars and the Issas
2. (Placename) the capital of Djibouti, a port on the Gulf of Aden: an outlet for Ethiopian goods. Pop: 523 000 (2005 est)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Formerly, French Somaliland , French Territory of the Afars and Issas. a republic in E Africa, on the Gulf of Aden: a former overseas territory of France; gained independence 1977. 447,439; 8960 sq. mi. (23,200 sq. km).
2. the capital of this republic, in the SE part. 290,000.
Dji•bou′ti•an, adj., n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Djibouti - port city on the Gulf of Aden; the capital and largest city of Djibouti|
|2.||Djibouti - a country in northeastern Africa on the Somali peninsula; formerly under French control but became independent in 1997|
Arab League - an international organization of independent Arab states formed in 1945 to promote cultural and economic and military and political and social cooperation
capital of Djibouti, Djibouti - port city on the Gulf of Aden; the capital and largest city of Djibouti
Horn of Africa, Somali peninsula - a peninsula of northeastern Africa (the easternmost part of Africa) comprising Somalia and Djibouti and Eritrea and parts of Ethiopia
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
Djiboutian - a native or inhabitant of Djibouti
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Djibouti[dʒɪˈbuːtɪ] N → Yibuti m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005