Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or having to do with the reign of James I of England or his times.
A prominent figure during this period.
[From New Latin Iacobaeus, from Late Latin Iacōbus, Iacobus, James, Jacob; see Jacob.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) history characteristic of or relating to James I of England or to the period of his rule (1603–25)
2. (Furniture) of or relating to the style of furniture current at this time, characterized by the use of dark brown carved oak
3. (Architecture) denoting, relating to, or having the style of architecture used in England during this period, characterized by a combination of late Gothic and Palladian motifs
(Historical Terms) any writer or other person who lived in the reign of James I
[C18: from New Latin jacōbaeus, from Jacōbus James]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Jac•o•be•an(ˌdʒæk əˈbi ən)
1. of or pertaining to James I of England or to his period.
2. of or pertaining to the style of literature and drama produced during the early 17th century.n.
3. a writer, statesman, or other personage of the Jacobean period.
[1750–60; < New Latin Jacobae(us) of Jacobus (Latinized form of James) + -an1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Jacobean - any distinguished personage during the reign of James I|
Englishman - a man who is a native or inhabitant of England
|Adj.||1.||Jacobean - of or relating to James I or his reign or times; "Jacobean writers"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Jacobean[ˌdʒækəˈbiːən] adj → jacobéen(ne)
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj → aus der Zeit Jakobs I.
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Jacobean[ˌdʒækəˈbiːən] adj (Brit) → dell'epoca di Giacomo I
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995