Javanese(redirected from Javanese people)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Jav·a·nese(jăv′ə-nēz′, -nēs′, jä′və-)
Of or relating to Java or its people, language, or culture.
n. pl. Javanese
1. A native or inhabitant of Java, especially a member of the Javanese-speaking majority population.
2. The Austronesian language of the principal ethnic group of Java.
[Java1 + -nese (as in Japanese).]
1. (Placename) of, relating to, or characteristic of Java, its people, or the Javanese language
2. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of Java, its people, or the Javanese language
3. (Languages) of, relating to, or characteristic of Java, its people, or the Javanese language
4. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Java
5. (Languages) a Malayo-Polynesian language of Central and Eastern Java
Jav•a•nese(ˌdʒæv əˈniz, -ˈnis, ˌdʒɑ və-)
n., pl. -nese,
1. a member of an Indonesian people mainly of the central and E parts of Java.
2. the Austronesian language of this people.
3. any native or inhabitant of Java.adj.
4. of or pertaining to Java, the Javanese, or their language.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Javanese - a native or inhabitant of Java |
Java - an island in Indonesia to the south of Borneo; one of the world's most densely populated regions
Indonesian - a native or inhabitant of Indonesia
|2.||Javanese - the Indonesian language spoken on Java|
|Adj.||1.||Javanese - of or relating to or characteristic of Java or its inhabitants or its language; "Javanese temples"; "Javanese dialects"|