injector(redirected from Jet injector)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. in·ject·ed, in·ject·ing, in·jects
1. To force or drive (a fluid) into something: inject fuel into an engine cylinder; inject air into a liquid mixture.
a. To introduce (a drug or vaccine, for example) into a body part, especially by means of a syringe.
b. To treat by means of injection: injected the patient with digitalis.
3. To introduce into conversation or consideration: tried to inject a note of humor into the negotiations.
4. To place into circulation: inject money into the economy.
5. To place into an orbit or trajectory: inject a satellite into geosynchronous orbit.
6. Physics To cause (a beam of particles, for example) to strike a target.
[Latin inicere, iniect-, to throw in : in-, in; see in-2 + iacere, to throw; see yē- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that injects
2. (Automotive Engineering) a device for spraying fuel into the combustion chamber of an internal-combustion engine
3. (Mechanical Engineering) Also: inspirator a device for forcing water into a steam boiler
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||injector - a contrivance for injecting (e.g., water into the boiler of a steam engine or particles into an accelerator etc.)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Einspritzpumpe f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
injector[ɪnˈdʒɛktəʳ] n (Tech) → iniettore m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. inyector, jeringa, dispositivo que se usa para inyectar.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012