jodhpur(redirected from Jodhpore)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A city of western India southwest of Delhi. Center of a former princely state founded in the 1200s, it is an important wool market.
1. (Placename) a former state of NW India, one of the W Rajputana states: now part of Rajasthan
2. (Placename) a walled city in NW India, in W Rajasthan: university (1962). Pop: 846 408 (2001)
1. jodhpurs, (used with a pl. v.) riding breeches cut very full over the hips and tapering at the knees to become tightfitting from the knees to the ankles.
2. Also called jodh′pur shoe`, jodh′pur boot`. an ankle-high shoe worn with such breeches, having a strap that encircles the ankle and buckles on the side.
[1895–1900; after Jodhpur]
Jodh•pur(ˈdʒɒd pər, ˈdʒoʊd pʊər)
1. Also called Marwar. a former state in NW India, now part of Rajasthan.
2. a city in central Rajasthan, in NW India. 494,000.