jubilee(redirected from Jubilees)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A specially celebrated anniversary, especially a 50th anniversary.
b. The celebration of such an anniversary.
2. A season or occasion of joyful celebration.
3. Jubilation; rejoicing.
4. often Jubilee Bible In the Hebrew Scriptures, a year of rest to be observed by the Israelites every 50th year, during which slaves were to be set free, alienated property restored to the former owners, and the lands left untilled.
5. often Jubilee Roman Catholic Church A year during which plenary indulgence may be obtained by the performance of certain pious acts.
1. a time or season for rejoicing
2. a special anniversary, esp a 25th or 50th one
3. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church a specially appointed period, now ordinarily every 25th year, in which special indulgences are granted
4. (Judaism) Old Testament a year that was to be observed every 50th year, during which Hebrew slaves were to be liberated, alienated property was to be restored, etc
5. a less common word for jubilation
[C14: from Old French jubile, from Late Latin jubilaeus, from Late Greek iōbēlaios, from Hebrew yōbhēl ram's horn, used for the proclamation of the year of jubilee; influenced by Latin jūbilāre to shout for joy]
ju•bi•lee(ˈdʒu bəˌli, ˌdʒu bəˈli)
1. the celebration of any of certain anniversaries, as the 25th, 50th, 60th, or 75th.
2. the completion of 50 years of existence, activity, or the like.
3. any season or occasion of rejoicing or festivity.
4. rejoicing or jubilation.
5. (in the Roman Catholic Church)
a. Also called ju′bilee year′. an appointed year or other period, ordinarily every 25 years, in which a plenary indulgence is granted upon repentance and the performance of certain acts.
b. the plenary indulgence granted.
6. a yearlong period observed by Jews in ancient times every 50 years, during which Jewish slaves were freed, alienated lands restored to the original owner, and the fields left untilled. Lev. 25. Compare sabbatical year (def. 2).
7. an African-American folk song concerned with future happiness or deliverance from tribulation.adj.
8. flambé: cherries jubilee.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French jubile < Late Latin jūbilaeus < Late Greek iōbēlaîos (with assimilation to Latin jūbilāre to shout for joy) « Hebrew yōbhēl ram's horn, jubilee]
jubilee- Comes from Hebrew yobhel, "ram's horn," which was used as a trumpet to proclaim the jubilee, a year of emancipation and restoration (every 50 years).
See also related terms for trumpet.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jubilee - a special anniversary (or the celebration of it)|
anniversary, day of remembrance - the date on which an event occurred in some previous year (or the celebration of it)
diamond jubilee - an anniversary celebrating the passage of 60 years
silver jubilee - an anniversary celebrating the passage of 25 years
n → Jubiläum nt
a celebration of a special anniversary (especially the 25th, 50th or 60th) of some event, eg the succession of a king or queen. The king celebrated his golden jubilee (= fiftieth anniversary of his succession) last year. jubileum, jubelfees; jubeljaar يوبيل юбилей jubileu jubileum, výročí das Jubiläum jubilæum πανηγυρική επέτειος, ιωβηλαίο jubileo, aniversario juubel سالروز؛ بزرگداشت riemujuhla jubilé חֲגִיגַת יוֹבֵל जयन्ती jubilej jubileum perayaan istimewa memperingati sesuatu fagnaðarhátíð, afmælishátíð giubileo; anniversario 記念祭 기념(축)제 jubiliejus jubileja jubli jubileumjubileumjubileusz پنځوسم تلين: ياپنڅوسمه كاليزه: جشن، دميلى ورځ jubileu jubileu юбилей jubileum jubilej jubilej jubileum งานฉลองครบรอบ 25 ปี 50 ปี หรือ 60 ปี kutlama, jübile 週年紀念 ювілей خوشی کی تقریب lễ kỉ niệm 周年纪念（特别是 25、50或60周年纪念）