Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
In the Bible, a son of Jacob and Leah and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
An ancient kingdom of southern Palestine between the Mediterranean and the Dead Sea. It lasted from the division of Palestine around 930 bc until the destruction of Jerusalem in 586 bc.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nDouay spelling: Juda
1. (Bible) the fourth son of Jacob, one of whose descendants was to be the Messiah (Genesis 29:35; 49:8–12)
2. (Bible) the tribe descended from him
3. (Bible) the tribal territory of his descendants which became the nucleus of David's kingdom and, after the kingdom had been divided into Israel and Judah, the southern kingdom of Judah, with Jerusalem as its centre
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the fourth son of Jacob and Leah. Gen. 29:35.
2. one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
3. the Biblical kingdom of the Hebrews in S Palestine, including the tribes of Judah and Benjamin. Compare Israel (def. 4).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Judah - (Old Testament) the fourth son of Jacob who was forebear of one of the tribes of Israel; one of his descendants was to be the Messiah|
Old Testament - the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible
|2.||Judah - an ancient kingdom of southern Palestine with Jerusalem as its center|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Judah[ˈdʒuːdə] N → Judá m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Juda m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007