court of common pleas(redirected from Judge of common pleas)
Also found in: Legal.
court of common pleas
n. pl. courts of common pleas
1. A court in some states of the United States having general jurisdiction.
2. A court in Great Britain that formerly heard commoners' civil cases.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Court of Common Pleas
1. (Law) English law (formerly) a superior court exercising jurisdiction in civil actions between private citizens
2. (Law) law US (in some states) a court exercising original and general jurisdiction
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
court′ of com′mon pleas′
1. (formerly in England) a court to hear civil cases between common citizens.
2. (in some U.S. states) a court with general civil jurisdiction.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.