court of common pleas(redirected from Judge of common pleas)
Also found in: Legal.
court of common pleas
n. pl. courts of common pleas
1. A court in some states of the United States having general jurisdiction.
2. A court in Great Britain that formerly heard commoners' civil cases.
Court of Common Pleas
1. (Law) English law (formerly) a superior court exercising jurisdiction in civil actions between private citizens
2. (Law) law US (in some states) a court exercising original and general jurisdiction
court′ of com′mon pleas′
1. (formerly in England) a court to hear civil cases between common citizens.
2. (in some U.S. states) a court with general civil jurisdiction.