jug(redirected from Jug (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
a. A large, often rounded vessel of earthenware, glass, or metal with a small mouth, a handle, and usually a stopper or cap.
b. The amount that a jug can hold.
2. A small pitcher.
3. Slang A jail.
4. jugs Vulgar Slang A woman's breasts.
tr.v. jugged, jug·ging, jugs
1. To stew (a hare, for example) in an earthenware jug or jar.
2. Slang To put into jail.
[Middle English jugge.]
1. a vessel for holding or pouring liquids, usually having a handle and a spout or lip. US equivalent: pitcher
2. Austral and NZ such a vessel used as a kettle: an electric jug.
3. US a large vessel with a narrow mouth
4. Also called: jugful the amount of liquid held by a jug
5. informal Brit a glass of alcoholic drink, esp beer
6. a slang word for jail
vb, jugs, jugging or jugged
7. (Cookery) to stew or boil (meat, esp hare) in an earthenware container
8. (tr) slang to put in jail
[C16: probably from Jug, nickname from girl's name Joan]
n., v. jugged, jug•ging. n.
1. a large container usu. of earthenware, metal, or glass, commonly having a handle and a narrow neck, sometimes with a cap or cork.
2. the contents of such a container; jugful.
3. Slang. jail; prison.
4. jugs, Slang: Usu. Vulgar. a woman's breasts.v.t.
5. to put into a jug.
6. to stew (meat) in an earthenware jug or pot: jugged hare.
7. Slang. to put in jail; imprison.
[1530–40; perhaps generic use of Jug, hypocoristic form of Joan, woman's name]
Jugto nestle or collect in a covey; the covey itself.
Examples: jug of grouse; of partridge; of quail.
Past participle: jugged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jug - a large bottle with a narrow mouth |
longbeard, long-beard, bellarmine, greybeard - a stoneware drinking jug with a long neck; decorated with a caricature of Cardinal Bellarmine (17th century)
bottle - a glass or plastic vessel used for storing drinks or other liquids; typically cylindrical without handles and with a narrow neck that can be plugged or capped
water jug - a jug that holds water
whiskey jug - a jug that contains whiskey
|2.||jug - the quantity contained in a jug |
containerful - the quantity that a container will hold
|Verb||1.||jug - lock up or confine, in or as in a jail; "The suspects were imprisoned without trial"; "the murderer was incarcerated for the rest of his life"|
law, jurisprudence - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
|2.||jug - stew in an earthenware jug; "jug the rabbit"|
cookery, cooking, preparation - the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat; "cooking can be a great art"; "people are needed who have experience in cookery"; "he left the preparation of meals to his wife"
stew - cook slowly and for a long time in liquid; "Stew the vegetables in wine"
bình có tay cầm
(Brit inf: = prison) → Kittchen nt (inf), → Knast m (inf); in jug → hinter schwedischen Gardinen (inf), → im Kittchen (inf) → or Knast (inf)
jugs (Brit sl: = breasts) → Titten pl (sl)
vt (Cook) → schmoren
n (of nightingale) → Flöten nt
a deep container for liquids, usually with a handle and a shaped lip for pouring. a milk-jug. kan, kruik, karaf, beker إبْريق кана jarro džbán der Krug kande; -kande κανάταjarro, jarra kann کوزه؛ پارچ kannu crucheכד सुराही vrč kancsó guci kanna, krús brocca, caraffa 水差し 주전자, 단지 ąsotis krūze; krūka jag kankanne, muggedzbanek صراحى، تنګ جك ( داوبو jarro ulcior кувшин džbán vrč bokal kanna, tillbringare เหยือก sürahi (有柄帶嘴的)壺 глек, глечик پانی یا مائع رکھنے کا گہرا لمبا ظرف، جگ cái bình （有柄有嘴的）壶