Charles I(redirected from Karl Franz Josef)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Charles I 11600-1649.
King of England, Scotland, and Ireland (1625-1649). His power struggles with Parliament resulted in the English Civil War (1642-1648) in which Charles was defeated. He was tried for treason and beheaded in 1649.
Charles I 21887-1922.
Emperor of Austria (1916-1918) and king of Hungary as Charles IV (1916-1918). Deposed after World War I, he twice failed to regain the Hungarian throne (1921).
Charles I 3
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) title as Holy Roman Emperor of Charlemagne. See Charlemagne
2. (Biography) title as king of France of Charles II (Holy Roman Emperor). See Charles II1
3. (Biography) title as king of Spain of Charles V (Holy Roman Emperor). See Charles V2
4. (Biography) title of Charles Stuart 1600–49, king of England, Scotland, and Ireland (1625–49); son of James I. He ruled for 11 years (1629–40) without parliament, advised by his minister Strafford, until rebellion broke out in Scotland. Conflict with the Long Parliament led to the Civil War and after his defeat at Naseby (1645) he sought refuge with the Scots (1646). He was handed over to the English army under Cromwell (1647) and executed
5. (Biography) 1887–1922, emperor of Austria, and, as Charles IV, king of Hungary (1916–18). The last ruler of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, he was forced to abdicate at the end of World War I
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Charles I - as Charles II he was Holy Roman Emperor and as Charles I he was king of France (823-877)|
|2.||Charles I - son of James I who was King of England and Scotland and Ireland; was deposed and executed by Oliver Cromwell (1600-1649)|
|3.||Charles I - king of the Franks and Holy Roman Emperor; conqueror of the Lombards and Saxons (742-814)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.