goulash(redirected from Khulash)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A stew of beef or veal and vegetables, seasoned mainly with paprika.
b. Any of various similar stews of mixed ingredients.
2. A dish of ground beef, macaroni, and onions covered in a seasoned tomato sauce and often mixed with melted cheese.
3. A mixture of many different elements; a hodgepodge.
[Hungarian, short for gulyáshús, literally "herdsman's meat," goulash, from gulyás, herdsman: gulya, herd of cows (perhaps of Northeast Caucasian origin and akin to Dargwa gula, cattle for fattening) + -s, occupational noun suff.].]
1. (Cookery) Also called: Hungarian goulash a rich stew, originating in Hungary, made of beef, lamb, or veal highly seasoned with paprika
2. (Bridge) bridge a method of dealing in threes and fours without first shuffling the cards, to produce freak hands
[C19: from Hungarian gulyás hus herdsman's meat, from gulya herd]
gou•lash(ˈgu lɑʃ, -læʃ)
1. a stew of beef or veal and vegetables, seasoned with paprika.
2. hodgepodge; jumble.
[1865–70; < Hungarian gulyás, short for gulyáshús herdsman's meat]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||goulash - a rich meat stew highly seasoned with paprika|
stew - food prepared by stewing especially meat or fish with vegetables
beef goulash - meat is browned before stewing
pork-and-veal goulash - made with sauerkraut and caraway seeds and served with sour cream
porkholt - made of lamb or pork