kingpin(redirected from Kingpin (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. The innermost or central pin in an arrangement of bowling pins.
b. See headpin.
2. The most important person or element in an enterprise or system.
3. See kingbolt.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the most important person in an organization
2. the crucial or most important feature of a theory, argument, etc
3. (Mechanical Engineering) Also called (Brit): swivel pin a pivot pin that provides a steering joint in a motor vehicle by securing the stub axle to the axle beam
4. (Bowls & Bowling) tenpin bowling the front pin in the triangular arrangement of the ten pins
5. (Bowls & Bowling) (in ninepins) the central pin in the diamond pattern of the nine pins
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (in bowling)
a. the headpin.
b. the pin at the center.
2. Informal. a person or thing of chief importance.
3. either of the pins that are a part of the mechanism for turning the front wheels in some automotive steering systems.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A large iron pin that went through the front wagon bolster and coupling pole and into the front wagon axle.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||kingpin - the most important person in a group or undertaking|
|2.||kingpin - bolt that provides a steering joint in a motor vehicle|
bolt - a screw that screws into a nut to form a fastener
|3.||kingpin - the front bowling pin in the triangular arrangement of ten pins|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
kingpin[ˈkɪŋˌpɪn] n (Tech) (fig) → perno
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995